Before venturing out in winter, here are a few tips to keep you warm and safe.
- Be prepared for a change in the weather and hit the trail early to avoid getting caught in the dark.
- To avoid hypothermia, dress in layers, wear waterproof outerwear.
- Stay hydrated, bring a warm drink in a Thermos and bring snacks you can eat without stopping.
- Try to keep your devices warm and bring a spare battery pack.
Base layer in silk or synthetic material to wick away moisture
- Base layer in silk or synthetic material to wick away moisture
- Warm layer in fleece
- Windproof and waterproof coat of shell
- Gaiters or water-resistant pants
- Hat or headband and gloves
- Scarf or neck gaiter
- Wool socks
- Waterproof boots
- Traction device like microspikes or Yaktrax
- Hiking poles to help maintain balance
In your backpack
- Water and high energy snacks
- Hot beverage
- Basic first aid kit plus matches, flashlight and knife
- Map or GPS
- Small emergency blanket