Where something’s always happening
Red River is a small town with a big impact along the Enchanted Circle, with more than its fair share of thrills, great food and fun events. COVID-Safe Practices are in place, but everyone is being kind, careful and friendly – as usual. Summer time in Red River is a magnet for folks looking to cool off, and visitors from all over Taos and the U.S. love this high-altitude village. Just walking the shop-lined streets can fill up a day.Chairlift rides
Summer Scenic Chairlift rides run Friday, Saturday and Sunday usually through mid-June, when lift service then is daily. Strap your bike on the Platinum chair, and bring along your gear to hike or disc golf, or just ride round trip for the expansive views.
• Tubing – Mid-June to mid-August, you can fly down the mountain on Red River Ski Area’s tubing slopes. The Little Blue Surface Lift opens up the 400-foot Baby Blue Hill to 4-year-olds or older (there is a free mini-lane for riders
under 4). Gold Rush Hill offers 7-year-olds and older 800 feet of excitement. Summer tubing is open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and on weekends from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (weather permitting).
• Ziplining and nature walks available, with exact dates yet to be set. Red River Nature Trail is a fave run of two miles along the river to Goose Lake Road, and includes interpretive signs on the wildlife and plants of the area. See redriver.org for trails in the area.
An 18-hole disc golf course is also up top, with tees and baskets that wander through aspens and open up to beautiful views of the Sangre de Cristos. Bring your own discs or rent from the staff at the pro-shop, which is located at the Tip Restaurant at the top of the Platinum Chair. The Sunny Side course suits introductory-level disc golfers, while Cracker Jack is Championship Pro Style.
Red River 2021 Events
- May 27-31: 39th Annual Memorial Day Motorcycle Rally
- June 5: 25th Annual Red River Car Show
- June 18-20: 16th Annual Art & Wine Festival
- July 4: July 4th Parade & Celebration
- July 31: Enchanted Forest Trail Races
- Aug. 13-15: Southwest Pickers Bluegrass Festival
- Aug. 20-23: Red River’s 8750 Music & BBQ Festival
- Aug. 28: Enchanted Circle Century Bicycle Tour
- Sept. 24-26: Red River Folk Festival
- Oct. 8-10: Oktoberfest